This delicious root vegetable is versatile, nutritious, and easy to prepare. Enjoy it as a main course or side salad. It goes particularly well with a healthy entree (we suggest grilled fish). It’s also sure to be a hit at a picnic.
Ingredients for the Salad
- 30 – 45oz canned whole beets or 1# beets (2 1/2-3″) for roasting*
- 5 oz baby arugula or mixed greens (4 cups)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
*Most people opt to use canned beets for this recipe, but if you would like to roast them, do that first. Instructions are below.
Ingredients for the Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup EVOO
- 1/4 cup Balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbs Dijon mustard
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa in boiling, salted water for 8-11 minutes. Drain well and cool. (Quinoa can be made up to 24 hrs ahead).
- Drain and dry canned beets, or if using roasted beets, cool and peel. Cut beets into bite-sized pieces. Tip: put a sheet of parchment paper on your cutting board to prevent staining.
- Using a small bowl, whisk ingredients for the vinaigrette together and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine cut beets and 1/4 cup of the dressing. Toss to coat. Let beets marinate at room temperature for 15-20 minutes.
- Place greens, shredded carrots and 1/2 cup cooked quinoa in a salad bowl and toss with dressing to taste.
- Arrange tossed salad on plates or platter. Top with marinated beets, then sprinkle with the walnuts and goat cheese. Serve immediately.
To roast beets:
- Set the oven rack in the center position. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Trim the tops off the beets, leaving 1/2 inch of the stem. Wash and scrub dirt from the beets and dry well.
- Rub with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wrap the beets tightly in aluminum foil and place on a sheet tray.
- Roast the beets until fork-tender, about 40 to 60 minutes, time will vary depending on the size of the beets. Check every 20 minutes for doneness.
- Allow beets to cool, peel and cut into 1/2-inch wedges.